TYPES OF WASTE, ABUSE AND FRAUD
General Investigations (SNAP, Medicaid and TANF-cash assistance)
Return to Types of Waste, Abuse & Fraud
The General Investigations section determines if a recipient has:
- Received more benefits than are entitled, or
- Used those benefits in a manner not authorized by law.
Recipients should be referred to the General Investigations section if there is
a suspicion of the following:
- Intentional Program Violation Overpayment
- Concealment: Recipient knowingly misstates or conceals information
in order to fraudulently receive more benefits than entitled.
- Falsification of records: Recipient falsifies records to obtain
more benefits than entitled.
- Trafficking : Recipient illegally exchanges SNAP benefits
for cash or non-food items from a retailer or another individual.
- Dual participation: Recipient simultaneously receives benefits
in Texas and another state.
- Client Misunderstanding Overpayment
- Recipient receives an overpayment of benefits but the facts do not show an intentional
program violation occurred.
- A hearing officer determines that an intentional program violation did not occur.
- Agency Error Overpayment
- The state agency incorrectly issues benefits to a recipient.
Need to reach the General Investigations section directly? Please call hotline
You may also reach the General Investigations section by fax, 512-491-4758.