General Investigations Section
The Enforcement division's General Investigations section investigates recipient
and overpayment referrals for Food Stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
(TANF), Medicaid, and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
The work of the General Investigations section results in the return of funds to
the state treasury and agency programs.
Investigative activities are coordinated internally with other Inspector General
sections, Health & Human Services Commission departments, and externally with
local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.
The General Investigations section accomplishes these tasks by:
- Conducting recipient fraud investigations in the Food Stamps, TANF, and Medicaid
- Discovering and prosecuting retailer and recipient Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT)
fraud and abuse
- Enforcing Food Stamps and TANF disqualifications of recipients found guilty in court
or administratively of intentional program violations
- Conducting CHIP recipient fraud investigations
- Clearing data matches; and/or
- Establishing non-fraud claims.
The General Investigations section also investigates:
- FEMA disaster assistance
- Special nutrition programs; and/or
- Medicaid misuse.
The General Investigations section also assists with Internal Affairs investigations
and conducts other special investigations.
Trained investigators residing in all regions of the state conduct criminal and